Our final morning in New York and we found a nice coffee shop to eat breakfast at before our meeting at the agency.
Here’s Beth at the agency playing solitaire on her Ipod while we wait. She spent a lot of time playing solitaire this week.
We had our meeting at the agency before we left New York Friday morning. We got to the agency early (as usual) and still haven’t adjusted to our position as someone they represent. The agency was mostly empty so we sat down in the unmanned lobby not sure if we should just walk in back. Someone we had not met yet came out and asked us if we had an appointment, yes we did with Tammy. Then she asked if we were with them, well yes maybe we just weren’t sure. So she told us to go ahead and walk back. Both Agnes and Tammy, the two people we’ve mostly been talking to were in and asked us to come into one of the unused offices to sit down and talk. After the meeting when Beth and I talked about this we both thought they were going to say after looking at all the photos they’re sorry but they’re just not going to be able to represent us. Instead what they asked us was about our flexibility. They wanted to know how available we were to travel to other markets. NEXT has agencies all around the world and we knew from talking to our mother agency that this was what you need to do to move your career forward. So Beth and I got our passports a couple months ago just in case. Good thing we did because the plan is for us to go to Paris & London in Sept.
That trip will be similar to our NY trip, every market has their own agency. So we’ll be meeting with a NEXT agency in both of those cities that will be representing Beth in their markets. We’ll go to photo shoots in those cities with local photographers to create Beth’s portfolios. If it follows the same schedule as NY we should have plenty of time for site-seeing.
We were warned that at some point I need to think about letting Beth travel to Europe alone because it shows those agencies & designers that she’s mature and ready to do this job. I said that’s something we could work towards but it’s going to take awhile. They also commented that there aren’t as many model apartments in Europe so that becomes an issue when there’s two of us traveling together. So that’s something we need to talk to our mother agency about. But they did stress that wasn’t something they expected to happen in a month or two. Well I hope not for heaven’s sake!
We did get a few of our questions answered; the model apartment in East Village is $350 per week per person. So that was $700 charged to Beth’s account. Plus the cost of the 3 photo shoots, who knows how much that was. All of these charges will accumulate in her acct until she starts earning money then they will deduct it from her pay. We have not signed a contract with neither NEXT nor our mother agency. I forgot to ask about that, are they all implied contracts? Are there no contracts? I do know that it is a standard rate of pay that all (or most) models receive. The model makes 80% of the billing the other 20% goes to the agency plus an additional 20% is paid to the agency by the client. Then the agency pays 10% of their payment to the mother agency. So Beth gets 80%, NEXT gets 30% and Mother Model Management get 10%. And the model pays all their expenses. There is the potential to make a lot of money but in the beginning I think a model is happy when they break even. I know I’ll be glad when we start breaking even. J
The final word on the elusive haircut; they are going to let Beth’s hair grow out until our next meeting then they plan on doing a haircut.
Our mother agency is located in St. Louis which has their own Fashion Week in Oct. So Beth plans doing that Oct. 12-18. I think that will be good practice for her and help her be a little more comfortable in that type of environment before the big Fashion Week in New York in Feb. Because that is what we’re working towards Spring 2010 Fashion Week! It’s hard to imagine in 5 short months she could be walking down a runway in New York with all the other fashion models. That’s just crazy to even think about.
That’s where we’re at right now on our modeling journey. In the airplane on the way home from New York Beth remembered that she had to wake up at 7am the next morning to go work at the farmers market. One week she’s living the life of a fashion model in NY the next week she’s back in the Midwest earning $40 for a mornings work selling bread. That’s OK though, she’s going to need that money for shopping in Europe!