Quilt #3 my nemesis!!

I don’t know what it was about this quilt that gave me such a problem. It should have been the easy one, instead of being all willy-nilly with the size of the squares I actually used a pattern and cut them all the exact same size. I also thought this would be my biggest quilt, when it was laid out it looked bigger than the others. When I started sewing together the rows I realized it wasn’t going to be as big as I thought, so I searched around the house for more sweaters and cut out a few more rows of blocks. Still no matter how perfectly everything lined up some rows were longer than others. So I cut more squares to fill in the shorts. I think this ended up being a mistake somehow it ended up being misshapen in spots, or maybe it was because I decided to wash it after I had sewn it all together and maybe some parts shrunk again. IMG_7685

I didn’t add embellishments to this one but I did cut some smaller squares and pieced them together to make the bigger squares. I liked the simplicity of this one and with the muted colors I thought it would be perfect for Thomas. Even with a few girlie sweaters thrown in.

IMG_7687

My next big mistake was to try and use the serger for the edging without first sewing with my sewing machine. Since the serger cuts off the extra material while it sews this was just too much to try and control all at once. Especially with the stretching  of the sweaters. I gave up on using the serger on my last side of the blanket since it was twisted into a complete mess. Then the blanket was thrown aside for about a week because I was so frustrated with it.

After working on some other projects (like the pouffe) I decided I better finish this so I could quit thinking about it. I cut off two the serged edges and started over with my regular sewing machine. I also had to repair this strange cut through the sweaters, I’m not even sure how that happened.

IMG_7702

I used a piece of flannel that I had bought for the first quilt (but then decided not to use) the problem with flannel from the fabric store is how narrow it is. Unless you want to piece it together its not going to make a very big quilt. Since this quilt ended up being smaller than I expected the flannel piece worked fine.

IMG_7704

As you can see it still didn’t lay flat, but at least its done.

IMG_7709

I tried to sew along the rows like I did with the other 2 but this one is such a mess it just isn’t working. So again I gave up after doing a few rows. These pics show all the twisting & scrunching the quilt was doing.IMG_7710IMG_7711

IMG_7713

And then somehow this one ended up being the smallest quilt yet.

IMG_7715

IMG_7717

Poor Thomas is sick yet again and spending more time lying on the couch. but at least he has lots of blankets around to cuddle up under.

IMG_7720

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Quilt #3 my nemesis!!

  1. I think the quilt looks great! I’ve bought up old sweaters and shrunk them for felt but have yet to actually DO anything with them 🙂
    keep up the good, albeit frustrating work!
    Tara

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s