Insulating a 100 year old “holey” house

When houses are built now there are many layers between what you see on the inside of your house and what is exposed to the weather outside your house. When our house was built the same wood siding that gets rained on outside is what we see inside (now that all the walls are down.) Which means when we removed the hideous aluminum siding all those nails that held it up perforated our house making it look like a sieve. When it rained all that moisture could be seen inside the house. So if we were to use standard paper backed fiberglass insulation it would soon mold as the moisture continually seeped into the house. Which means Dan had to do lots of research to come up with some type of alternative that would prevent that.

and the solution was…duh-duh-duh…Foam it Green! IMG_4856

 

Foam It Green®

Foam It Green® is a dense foam seal that significantly reduces heating and cooling costs. Foam It Green® has a high R-value of 6.7 in just 1 inch. It also improves your home’s durability and creates a healthier indoor environment.

  • reduces heating and cooling costs
  • reduces construction cost by providing an air insulation and moisture barrier
  • eliminates drafts
  • improves indoor air quality
  • adheres to existing structures
  • withstands peak wind loads
  • is black mold and pest deterrent
  • deadens sound
  • adds structural support

But first you have to prep, which means covering up all those new windows we just installed and covering the floor and furniture with plastic. It also meant that our house was going to be very stinky so we planned this for the night the before Thanksgiving so we could go spend the night at my parents house and be gone all the next day.

IMG_4862

Dan also had to be prepped in his “haz-mat” style suit with oxygen mask.  I was only here for a few minutes in the beginning to get some pictures, then the boys and I left, leaving Dan to do all the work on his own.

IMG_4877

It started out looking like this was going to be a pretty clean process…

IMG_4883IMG_4897

But somewhere along the way this happened:

All the places that were covered with plastic fared pretty well, unfortunately, in the office (where Dan was also doing the ceiling) we did not cover anything with plastic. So that room required a bit of scraping to remove the foam from the floor.

But once the clean-up was done this is how it all looked:

IMG_4928

IMG_4929

We did have a bit of a problem with some of the foam not setting up. It’s a two part foam (so there are 2 tanks with hoses going into 1 gun) when the 2 parts combine a chemical reaction occurs causing the foam the expand and set. If the mixture is not flowing correctly you get a goo that will NEVER set up. The blue stuff that looks like its dripping down the wall is some of that goo. By the end Dan’s goggles were so covered from the over spray he couldn’t tell that the foam was not working correctly. So we have blue goo all around the house that we need to deal with.

IMG_4931

The only solution Dan has come up with is to buy another set of the foam and spray on top of the goo hoping that will help it cure. The downside to that is the expense. This stuff is NOT cheap, we bought 2 kits along with the extra supplies that you need and it was $1400. An additional kit will cost us $740 including shipping. Ouch! There were also some areas that didn’t get as thick of a coat as Dan wants so it looks like either way we need more foam.

The upside we’re getting closer to drywall!