I don’t know what it was about this quilt that gave me such a problem. It should have been the easy one, instead of being all willy-nilly with the size of the squares I actually used a pattern and cut them all the exact same size. I also thought this would be my biggest quilt, when it was laid out it looked bigger than the others. When I started sewing together the rows I realized it wasn’t going to be as big as I thought, so I searched around the house for more sweaters and cut out a few more rows of blocks. Still no matter how perfectly everything lined up some rows were longer than others. So I cut more squares to fill in the shorts. I think this ended up being a mistake somehow it ended up being misshapen in spots, or maybe it was because I decided to wash it after I had sewn it all together and maybe some parts shrunk again.
I didn’t add embellishments to this one but I did cut some smaller squares and pieced them together to make the bigger squares. I liked the simplicity of this one and with the muted colors I thought it would be perfect for Thomas. Even with a few girlie sweaters thrown in.
My next big mistake was to try and use the serger for the edging without first sewing with my sewing machine. Since the serger cuts off the extra material while it sews this was just too much to try and control all at once. Especially with the stretching of the sweaters. I gave up on using the serger on my last side of the blanket since it was twisted into a complete mess. Then the blanket was thrown aside for about a week because I was so frustrated with it.
After working on some other projects (like the pouffe) I decided I better finish this so I could quit thinking about it. I cut off two the serged edges and started over with my regular sewing machine. I also had to repair this strange cut through the sweaters, I’m not even sure how that happened.
I used a piece of flannel that I had bought for the first quilt (but then decided not to use) the problem with flannel from the fabric store is how narrow it is. Unless you want to piece it together its not going to make a very big quilt. Since this quilt ended up being smaller than I expected the flannel piece worked fine.
As you can see it still didn’t lay flat, but at least its done.
I tried to sew along the rows like I did with the other 2 but this one is such a mess it just isn’t working. So again I gave up after doing a few rows. These pics show all the twisting & scrunching the quilt was doing.
And then somehow this one ended up being the smallest quilt yet.
Poor Thomas is sick yet again and spending more time lying on the couch. but at least he has lots of blankets around to cuddle up under.
I finished this quilt awhile ago but never got around to blogging about it. This one I kept for myself since it has all my favorite colors.
I especially love the round embellishments
and I super- duper LOVE this metallic thread. It is so fun!!
I backed this quilt with some super soft fleece that was purchased at JoAnne’s back in Dec. I sewed along all the edges of each square to give it the quilted effect. That gets to be pretty difficult with how thick and bulky these quilts are.
Ta-Da the finished quilt
I also got to use my new serger for the edging. Look at those lovely serged edges.
I LOVE reusing wool sweaters! I buy them up at the thrift store for $1-$2 each, then bring them home, wash them in hot water with detergent and put them in the dryer. Most the time they shrink (felt) into a miniature much thicker replica of the sweater they started as. Sometimes they don’t shrink very much or even at all. It must have to do with how much wool is in the sweater but I haven’t worked out which ones shrink up the best yet. Beth and I go through the pile, keep some to wear and use the rest.
My initial plan was to make arm warmers (fingerless gloves) and hats. I love how they turned out but when my BFF saw them she wasn’t impressed. And when I mentioned I was making them for Xmas gifts she said she didn’t want one. Hmm well to heck with her. The arm warmers only used the sleeves of the sweaters so I still had all the guts to use.
I decided to make a wool quilt with some of the remains. I picked out colors that complimented each other than sat and pondered how I was going to do this. Finally I decided to just start cutting and see what would happen. My dilemma’s were: should all the squares be the same size or should I try to ago all willy-nilly? Also should I use the ribbed bottom of the sweaters or cut it off. Too much indecision leads to nothing being accomplished so I just started cutting. I prefer for things not to be perfect since my finished product never is. So I cut squares that made sense for the sweater. I tried to get as many pieces from each sweater as I could. I decided to cut off the ribbed bottoms, but then ended up using those pieces to fill in when a row was short.
I did want to make the squares a little more decorative so I added some whimsical touches by layering smaller squares on to the bigger pieces.
Then I tried to lay it out somewhat cohesively, or at least so no two of the same color were touching. Somehow in the final sewing I did end up with some overlap. Sweaters (especially ones that don’t shrink up as much) are still stretchy so I did have some play on the lengths. But that also caused things to not match up exactly.
I just finished the fun part, getting all the squares sewed together. Now comes the work: adding the batting, backing and edging.
Here is Thomas trying it out while doing his schoolwork. Beth also tried to lay claim to it, but no, I have this planned for a Xmas present for someone special. Not the BFF who is unimpressed with my creations!